Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

If you have been a legal resident of Florida two months and

Customer Question

If you have been a legal resident of Florida for only two months and your spouse lives in another state can you file for divorce in Florida if you have proof of physical abuse?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I have reviewed the Florida Statutes and I do not find where there his an exception to the residency requirements as stated

61.021 Residence requirements.—To obtain a dissolution of marriage, one of the parties to the marriage must reside 6 months in the state before the filing of the petition.

I suggest that you consider filing in the state where you lived prior for at least six month, if that is the state where your spouse now resides.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you