Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

What do I need to do to change my grandson's name and have

Customer Question

what do I need to do to change my grandson's name and have the actual father's name on the birth certificate? He is 5 mo old and my son was paternity tested positive 99.996% the biological father. The problem is the mother gave the child the last name of her ex boyfriend(Robinson)like her other 2 children. She never put a fathers name (Radwell)on the birth certificate with Ohio. I have a certified copy I purchased. Will I need to retain a lawyer? I (grandma) have had him since she came back to Las Vegas in May20, 2015. He was born 4/15/15.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to get your son an attorney and the attorney has to file a petition for paternity in the court. Once the court rules he is the father, then the court issues an order of paternity which is sent to the Vital Records division and the birth record is changed to reflect your son being the father.

As part of this process, the attorney would file a motion for custody/visitation and support, to seek to get your son his rights to see the child. Once you get the court order in NV for paternity, the attorney would get the court order filed in OH to recognize it and they would make OH vital records change the birth certificate.

If you are going to have custody of the child, the attorney would also file the motion to get the court to grant you custody as well. These motions are all part of the paternity case.