FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Am considering divorce in the near future. When I actually

Customer Question

Am considering divorce in the near future. When I actually "do it" I'll of course solicit an attorney who specializes in this type of legal work. In the meantime I have a question. In the State of Wisconsin I'll assume from filing to final will be 6 months or more. So, in the interim how is temporary custody of my 9 year old son to be determined. I know the court will make that determination for the time following the final decree, but how about the months before ?
Thanks,
Greig
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. What will happen when you file, is that your attorney will ask for temporary custody. It will be decided by what is in the best interest of the child and of course, what both you and your soon to be ex want. Ideally, you would be able to work this out, whereby you have your son X days and he has him Y or you have primary custody and he gets visitation, etc. If not, then the Judge will simply impose a temporary custody agreement until everything is final. When you leave, you can take the child with you but do not want to necessarily prevent and interfere with the father seeing him at the same time, which ideally this should be amicable.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!