Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I live in California and just filed summary dissolution last

Customer Question

Hi there,
I live in California and just filed for a summary dissolution for marriage last Monday but in the end I will get married to my future wife as soon as the divorce is officially over. In CA it takes about 6months in order to get it done by but i have read that if i use the BIFURCATION process, it could be fast than that considering i want to get married again pretty much right away. how is that getting done? Do i need to file a specific form for requesting Bifurcation in order to re-marry? if so which one is it?
thank you so much in advance for your help!
C.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to file a motion for bifurcation. You do this by filing the FL-300 and check "Other" and type or write in under "Other" "Bifurcation of Marital Status". On page 3 of the form you check No. 8 and type "Bifurcation of Marital Status". Then on page 4 check "Facts in Support" and type out why you want the bifurcation. Then date and sign You also fill out a FL-315 and check "Request for Separate Trial" and "Request for Order" Then finish checking boxes as they apply to your case. Please note that you either have to attach a declaration or a supporting declaration. If you have a declaration on the FL-300 you attach the same one. Once the motion is granted you file the FL-180 with FL-347 attached, and FL-190.