mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

I am seeking information on whether it is possible to find a

Customer Question

I am seeking information on whether it is possible to find a birth mother in a closed adoption case in Indiana, birth was 1966
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon:

It is possible to petition the court to unseal adoption orders and records. Is extremely difficult burden to meet and must be for medical necessity. In some instances the birth parent can indicate whether they are open to contact and the release of their information upon request.The best place to start is with the filing of the petition with the court.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I go about filing the petition?
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

You will need the caption of the case on the top with docket numbering tfrom the court that issued the adoption. If you have any if the court pleadings you can use it as an example. You will need to identify your self name and address and who you are in the adoption. You will need to identify the date of adoption as near as possible. You will then need to state your basis for why you seeK the information. Lastly you need to state what is the relief your are asking the court to grant. You could also go to the law library in the courthouse and they generally have specific examples of petition tailored for your state. This is better than the internet. Good look.