Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

Myself and my wife have been married total of 13 years she

Customer Question

Myself and my wife have been married for a total of 13 years she said she wanted a divorce in July of 2014 after waiting on her to file for a while in September of 2014 i filed for divorce and moved out of the home. We have been total separated for over
a year and still no divorce yet because her or her attorney has not provided any discovery. We both live in the state of florida in 2005 my mother became ill she have 10 children, but she wanted me to be in charge of her home. So she saw a lawyer made her
home a life estate at which time a quick claimed deed was done in my name. My mother is still living. I have never paid any moines on my mother's home during my marriage. In florida is my mother's home cosidered as me an my wifes martial property? I tried
to find case law but could not. And after i file for divorce and move out if i buy a car is it considered marital asset.? I hope you understand and cand help me with my questions.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, if this property was transferred to you while married, it is technically marital property. If you would have inherited the funds or the property, then that is considered to be 'separate' property as anything inherited is separate unless you choose to share it with your spouse. Likewise anything you purchase before divorce is granted is potentially marital. Unless the separation agreement expressly states that anything purchased while separated is going to be considered separate, it is still a marital asset.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This property is a lifestate and only comes in my control after my mother's death

Yes, but even a life estate itself may have some value. So the life estate would also be a potential marital asset that would have enough value to be considered for separation and for a marital asset split.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.