Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

To avoid probate and avoid the cost of creating a legal

Customer Question

To avoid probate and avoid the cost of creating a legal revocable trust, my father would like to use a payment on death or a transfer on death form to transfer his real estate assets and other assets to his financial power of attorney. are those forms available online?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

In regard to his real estate assets, your dad will have to issue a deed from himself to himself and his child/children/beneficiaries as JOINT TENANTS WITH RIGHTS OF SURVIVORSHIP......that is the way property is transferred immediately upon death. I'm sure there are sample deeds online to this affect.

As for any other assets or property, the institutions who administer the accounts will have forms that he can use to make the accounts payable upon death. For example, if he has a checking account, savings account, IRA, or other type of account, he would need to check with each of the banks/companies and make sure that each account has a named survivor and that it is payable upon death to that survivor.