Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

There is a court order that mother have no contact with

Customer Question

Hi there. There is a court order that mother have no contact with minor. That minor just turned 18. Is there anything to be done at the courthouse to close the case or does it automatically close at 18 and mother can now have contact. This is in California.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

At age 18 the minor becomes an adult and as such they can determine who they want to be around and in that regard, the order would need to then be renewed by the 18 year old as an adult. I suggest, however, you will want to file a Motion to Terminate/Vacate the order with the court so that if it is in a law enforcement database it is then removed.

You can check with the clerk of the court to see if there are forms. If not, then you need a local attorney to draft that for you.