Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

My husband and I are divorcing, he had an affair, we

Customer Question

My husband and I are divorcing, he had an affair, we separated for 3 months, he was living at our lake home, then he sold the lake home came home for 1 week claiming we would reconcile, the whole time still seeing another woman, the he moved into an apartment
and moved his mistress next door and has been paying her rent and other experiences, Will this hurt him in the divorce? We are from Alabama
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

That very much depends. Are you filing for a 'fault' based divorce, or a for a 'no fault' divorce?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we filing on the grounds of abuse and adultery,Also this is after 31 years of marriage

Thank you for your follow-up.

If you are filing for a 'cause' based divorce, specifically for adultery, you can indeed use this current relations against him. This won't generally give you more of the assets because assets are not something that the courts can penalize one person with, but you likely can demand a far greater share of alimony and support, and even potentially seek lifetime alimony due to the very long length of your marriage.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.