FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

If I believe the mother of my unborn child to be mentally

Customer Question

If I believe the mother of my unborn child to be mentally unstable is there anything I can do. We are unwed but she has become very violent towards me. I worry about the safety of the child during and after pregnancy. Not sure if I have any rights.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

What has she done to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has become very angry with me over little things. Made wild accusations. Extremely verbally abusive as well as physically in some cases. Uncontrollable anger and when she becomes this way she is inconsolable. I believe it's very unhealthy for the baby

I am sorry to hear about this. If she has become physical with you, that is a criminal offense and you can call the police and report this. She could be arrested and charged, if there is evidence to support this violent behavior. The verbal abuse is not something that likely can be prosecuted by the physical abuse is. As far as the issue with the child, if she is a danger to herself and the child, she could possible be held against her will and be subject to a mental evaluation, so if she is acting odd, you can report this as well. Now, once the baby is actually born, you could proceed and establish paternity and go after custody of the child as well, if you feel she is not capable of caring for the child and their well being.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you this has been very helpful.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.