mkc1959
mkc1959, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney with 26 years of experience.
55483656

I am a foreigner and need to divorce my American wife. What

Customer Question

I am a foreigner and need to divorce my American wife. What do I need to do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

Are there any minor children? Does your wife live in California?

Please do not rate this answer yet. I am simply trying to get a few details.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there are no minors involved and my wife I think still lives in California. She changed all her numbers and I can't get hold of her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Are you there?
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

you can file for divorce in the Superior Court in the District where you live or where your wife lives. The Court system provides a good reference site at: http://www.courts.ca.gov/8411.htm It does not matter that you are a foreigner. Please let me know what additional questions you may have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My challenge is that I visit in now and I don't have residence duration required and yet I can't find my wife so I use her residence either. What can I do about the residence requirement?
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

Okay. You can consult with a private investigator who can perform what is referred to as a "skip trace." The skip trace is designed to find the present residence address for someone. You will need to provide the private investigator with all the information you can about your wife, including social security number, driver license number, relatives, age, date of birth and employment.

Once you locate your wife, then you can file suit in the proper court and allege the necessary residency requirements.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.