FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I have physical custody of our daughter, we share joint

Customer Question

I have physical custody of our daughter, we share joint legal. We have a standing child support and visitation order. The visitation is with the father every other weekend and shared breaks. I received a job offer which requires me to move in a month and would modify our current visitation schedule. Instead of every other weekend, it would be holiday and summer breaks. I have notified him several times and he seems like he's on board with the move. He has not opposed it. Yet he still hasn't put his input on the new visitation schedule I brought up. I feel like he's dragging this out and doing this on purpose. What do I do since I have to move in apporx 25 days? If I ask for an extension on my start date with this employer I fear that the job offer will be retracted.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You do need to act and get him to agree and not object to the relocation. If he changes his mind and does, then this could delay everything, since you would likely need to get permission from the court to relocate with the child and that could take some time. You want to propose to him in writing, the new visitation schedule and have him sign off on it, showing he agrees and does not object to you relocating and him now having only holidays and summer breaks. If you can not get an answer within the next few days, you may need to start and begin the process with the court. Of course, if he allows you to move with the child, you can always see if you can work out the visitation thereafter, advising that the job starts shortly and this is the first and necessary step.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!