N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

My wife or technically term companion got together

Customer Question

My wife or technically long term companion got together approximately 17 years ago in Colorado and have lived together since. We moved to Florida in 2002 and recently found out that common law is not recognized in Florida as she is looking to retire and I was hoping to put her on my medical benefits as a spouse but that does not appear to be an option for us. My question is that if we considered ourselves to be in a common law relationship in Colorado before moving to Florida would this legally transfer to a different state and more importantly one the does not currently recognize a common law marriage?
Note: We have not filled our tax returns jointly.
Please let us know your thoughts.
Thank you,
Steve
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Did you hold yourselves out as married in Colorado?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.We were clearly together at that time but not sure if we were actually holdings ourselves out as married being that we had only been together for four years before moving to Florida. Now we have credit cards together, my truck loan is in both our names, she wears a ring that I gave her on her wedding finger so I would definitely say that we are holding ourselves out as married now if that matters? Let me know. Thanks!

It is critical for me to know if you ever told people while living in Colorado that you were married. If you did, then you are still married.