Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

If i got married in prison 2 years ago and now she files can

Customer Question

If i got married in prison 2 years ago and now she files for divorce can she get alimony? The priest may have no been registered when we had the ceremony and i did not sign marriage certificate. She forged my signature. The signature on the certificate is not mine. we got married because she got pregnant right before i went to federal prison. I was only supposed to get 4 and ender up getting 7. She stopped speaking to me and collecting my disability check monthly. Now shes filing for divorce. Its hard to find a divorce lawyer for Michigan when im in Louisiana. Is my marriage even legal? Can i use any type of divorce lawyer? Please help! I will pay for the best advice.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If the divorce is being filed in Michigan, you would need a Michigan divorce Attorney.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Whether or not she is entitled to alimony would depend on various things. First, if you are alleging that the marriage is not legal because the priest who conducted the marriage ceremony is not properly licensed or that your signature was forged, then the issues need to be brought up to the Court and if the Court believes you, then there would not be any alimony because the marriage will be voided. If the Court finds that the marriage is valid, then the Court would review other factors such as your resources and ability to pay in order to decide whether to order you to pay alimony.