Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have temporary custody of my daughter ( 8 years now) due

Customer Question

I have temporary custody of my daughter ( 8 years now) due to my exes drug use. My 11 year old daughter and her Mom have been wanting to get to know each other. I allowed for 5 weeks. She was supposed to have supervised visits if I allowed for visits, but those 5 weeks I didn't do that. She is asking for the temporary custody to be lifted now. Court date is coming up. I cant afford a lawyer. She also has domestic violence three years ago, and shoplifting offense. I am concerned it looks bad that I allowed our daughter to visit her so long. I did so because it was summer and her mom doesn't work, and hoped it would be good for her. Since her Moms visit- she wants to live with her mom- her mom is brainwashing her, and asking her questions like Is your Dad drunk? Anyway- any advice for court? I was going to bring her shoplifting and domestic violence records in- but concerned since I let her go for 5 weeks to visit she could possibly turn around the custody.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting for my assistance.

You need to explain to the Court why custody must remain with you. You need to discuss your ex'-s lifestyle, association, parental skills, living arrangement, education opportunity for the child while with your ex, etc. If she is still abusing drugs you need to stress this to the Court.

Yes, it looks bad that you allowed unsupervised 5-week visit. You need to explain to the Court why you did that.