How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101572
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Who is responsible emancipation of a child any will the

Customer Question

who is responsible for the emancipation of a child any will the other parent of to pay any money back
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) please wait to rate until I ask you to do so. It may take a few replies for me to be able to render an complete answer. I will let you know when I do.

There has to be more to this situation. Can you please tell me more about what has happened here? What do you mean "responsible for emancipation?" Emancipation is automatic at a certain age in most times. Or, do you mean if the minor wants to emancipate early? Are there any court orders between the parents? And pay what money back - child support?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son is now 25 years old (08/10/90) , in the state of nj the child had lived with me , his mother and I have not agreed on a date of emancipation he was in school for about two years,and when the economy collapsed in 2007 and I still had to support him. who is responsible to emancipation of this child the obligee which is me or the obligor his mother
with I have too pay any money bavk to her
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Than you. Was there originally child support ordered? If so, who was paying who?

Or, no child support?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not in the beginning yes we have and order of support the mother is paying the support
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Once the child turns 18 and/or becomes financially independent such as moving away or joining the military or otherwise, either parent must file papers with the court asking that the order be terminated or adjusted.

At 25, the Court is likely to agree to this without an issue. However, EITHER parent must file. There is no specific duty of which parent it is.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions