Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Me and my x live in spearfish south dakota we have two

Customer Question

me and my x live in spearfish south dakota we have two school age minor children instead of keeping them home at night in there own beds she take them and goes to her moms in whyoming so she can be with her boyfriend or go out to the bar when they are asleep there is also known relitives who are involved in elegal drugs what can i do as the father to change this and who the children are around during a custody settlement she put a protection order against me to keep my hands tied sort of speak
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If the mother ever leaves the children alone while she goes to a bar, call the police immediately. You can also call child services in South Dakota if the mother is leaving the children with a drug dealer on a regular basis, if she has a drinking problem, or if she's otherwise neglecting or abusing the children. If you know these people are dealing illegal drugs, you can also phone in a tip to the local police department or have a friend do it, although talk to your lawyer first about whether that's the best strategy for your particular case.

Your lawyer can help you file for an emergency ex parte temporary order. A protective order does not mean that a person cannot file a legitimate lawsuit. An ex parte order means you go to the courthouse without her, explain what she's doing, and get an order that allows you to pick the children up and keep them with you. You cannot talk to her, so if she appears at your house, you cannot let her in. You can call the police and ask them to remove her from the premises, though.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.