Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I am trying to find out if grandparents have a right to see

Customer Question

I am trying to find out if grandparents have a right to see their only grandchild.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The answer that I will provide will likely not be as favorable as you may hope, so kindly do not blame the messenger. Texas follows the US Supreme Court interpretation of parental rights. In 2000, under a decision from a case called Troxel v. Granville, the courts have held that parents have superior rights to their children, and grandparents have inferior rights. That means that legally a parent can block a grandparent from seeing their grandchildren. Since parents have a right to control access, that applies to grandparents as well. The grandparents can go to court to seek visitation, or in case of unfitness even attempt to seek guardianship, but short of going to court cannot force or compel the parents of the children to provide access to them.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.