Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I am 17 years old and tired of my parents the treat me like

Customer Question

I am 17 years old and tired of my parents the treat me like a maid. I have a job and a place I can go and still go to school full time I need to get away from them before I do something bad. Could I leave home now my birthday is ***** March
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, in the state of North Carolina, a person is considered a minor child until the age of 18, unless legally married or legally emancipated.

So, if the minor who is 17 has a job that produces income which would allow the minor to support herself, including paying for her own housing, then the minor can file petition for emancipation in the local court and the judge will review the petition and will hold the hearing and will decide whether to grant legal emancipation to a 17 year old.

Here is the link to the legal emancipation petition available from the NC courts:

http://www.nccourts.org/forms/Documents/545.pdf

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.