Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

My son turned 18 on September 17, 2015, and will graduate gh

Customer Question

My son turned 18 on September 17, 2015, and will graduate high school in June 2015. My ex husband has seen him for one day in February 2015 and, now that he's trying to get reduce his support obligation, wants our son to be out of school for 2 weeks to drive across country to a wedding in Iowa (we live in California and this is not considered an excused absence from school). Because our son is 18, I cannot tell him not to go, but because this "visit" with his father is occurring after our son has turned 18, will it still count as visitation for the purposes of child support?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Yes. Generally any time that the child who receiving child support, even after the age of 18, spends with the non-custodial parent, such visit / timesharing would entitle the non-custodial parent for child support credit, providing that child support agreement states that the child support would be credited for any time the child spends with the non-custodial child.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.