Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My husband left me woman and he had paid my insurance up

Customer Question

my husband left me for another woman and he had paid my insurance up for the year. The divorce was signed April 30,2015, but I did not get my settlement until September 18 and had to live with my 86 year old mother due to no income. I called the insurance company yesterday to ask about COBRA and they had a fit, would not answer any questions. My ex is furious but I thought I was doing the right thing. He has taken care of it for 24 years. Can you tell me my legal rights? Insurance was not addressed in the divorce, just property split. In a 50/50 state he got 68% and 31.59% for me. I am 64 and terrified I have messed everything up including coverage for our two children in college.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

Once you are divorced, your husband can no longer carry you on his insurance plan. However, that has nothing to do with your children. Under federal law, he can carry them until age 26 whether in college or not.

As to your coverage, you now have an option of taking the COBRA or getting your own insurance. I suggest, since it was not discuss in your divorce as to having your ex pay for your insurance coverage, then you will be responsible for the premiums, unless he now agrees to help with it until you can afford it.

You are eligible for medicare at age 64, so you should consider looking into that and then perhaps a supplemental and that will cut your costs down on the premium.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you