JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

Do i have the right to know who lives with my minor child

Customer Question

do i have the right to know who lives with my minor child and ex-wife. we have joint custody 50/50
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

Unless it is written in the custody order then there is no specific right to require her to provide that information. However, if you were to file a motion with the court and ask the court to order her to reveal the information to you then the judge would almost certainly require that it be done. In fact, even before the case got to a hearing your lawyer could file discovery and force her to reveal the information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didn't answer my question. Why?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

I did answer the question and then went further.

You asked:

do i have the right to know who lives with my minor child and ex-wife

I answered:

Unless it is written in the custody order then there is no specific right to require her to provide that information.