Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Lawyer
Experience:  I have 25 years experience as a Washington State Family Law Attorney.
34978818

I want to apply my share of my ex husbands military pension.

Customer Question

I want to apply for a my share of my ex husbands military pension. Do I need a lawyer to do this.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Seattle Scott replied 1 year ago.

A lawyer is not required but division of pensions is complicated and technical in terms of the language contained in the order. First, you need a determination by the divorce judge that you are entitled to a percentage of the pension. Then you need a QDRO, a qualified domestic relations order which actually orders the division of the pension. This order is controlled by both state and federal law and the form and language of the order must be approved by the military service your ex was a member of. There are lawyers who specialize in military QDROs, not every divorce lawyer does these, so it is probable that you will need some expert lawyer help on this at some point.