mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

My former spouse and I executed a Personal Property

Customer Question

My former spouse and I executed a Personal Property Agreement in 1994 and divorced three years later. His Iliad consisted of items passed down from his parents (silver, a few pieces of furniture, 2 pcs. of jewelry, 2 pcs. of art work). He never removed the items from my home where I raised our two sons. Now he seems unusually desperate and wants to take some items to sell. My sons are upset as they thought these were heirloom items and would be passed along to them. Is there any legal consideration considering these items have been in my possession?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon:

I am going to try to best answer your question. I believe your strongest argument would be that he abandoned the property as he has not retrieved it since 1994. You are would be even stronger if you had reminded him that he needed to remove his items that he requested in the past and he failed to do so. I generally put in a timeframe for removal of items in my agreements in order to avoid this exact problem.

I hope this is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.