Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am getting a divorce. As I asked by the Court system to

Customer Question

I am getting a divorce. As I asked by the Court system to move out of the house. Now I have learned that her Lawyer told her to remove everything she wanted to from the house before she filed the Divorce paper work. and as it happens it has been all my power tool and air tools also hand tool. all my X Box stuff and all my movies some of the pants and shirts and a lot of other stuff. Her Lawyer told her it was ok to do that.
Now I have no way to go back to work right now, with out my tools. I have been trying to stop her from selling everything. With no help from any one over this. Is possible to help me with this question. My E-Mail is***@******.***. Name is***** Jr. Please help me with this. Thank You
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Prior to filing of divorce, all marital property is able to be controlled by both spouses. Once a divorce is filed, all property must be maintained and nothing can be removed until the court orders it or the parties agree. So her attorney telling her to do this is not illegal, but certainly speaks volumes to the ethics and morals of her attorney.

Unfortunately, now you have to get your own attorney to sue her for damages for taking your personal working tools and personal property and for the loss you incurred or you at least have to get your attorney to file in court for an injunction to stop the sale. That is the only way you are going to stop this. Since she has an attorney who does not mind acting immorally, you are going to need to have your own attorney to protect you here, because if he is doing this now, it will only get much worse as the divorce proceeds.