Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am a divorced mother of 2 now 39 and 42 respectivly. When

Customer Question

i am a divorced mother of 2 now 39 and 42 respectivly. When I divorced in 1987 in London England. i was given my ex husband one of the properties where we lived and an apartment in another country all worth $ $1000.000 and thst's all. Alimony for the children of $300 a month until they reached 18 years old. This was an agreement out of vourt as I had no momey to fight and my ex husband had a lot of money in foreign companies so I could not prove how mucg money he had.My ex had conviced the children that I was the one wanting to break the marriage and there is no way I can explain other wise, they don't want yo listen. My children have inherited a vast amount of money from their father and I am struggling to live at their standarts as I only have $600.000 capital left and no assets. They say that they will buy a property in their names for $500.000 where I will live. This is not enough to buy a descent apartment in New York.I am suffeting from anxiety and great saddness at their attitude, so I am wondering if I have a case. They inherited from the portion the father had while married to me plus the family home where we all lived together in England which they sold for around $12.000.000.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if you settled the divorce back in 1987, there is no legal right you have to the money any longer. It was his money to give to the children and the home was his to give up, so your children do not have a legal duty or obligation to give you any of that money. Without a legal duty or obligation, there is nothing that is in the power of the court to award you I am afraid. To sue to recover anything from them, you would need some law to sue under and there is no law to sue under once you settled back in 1987 and did not get any share of that property.