Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

In 2008 I moved from Missouri to New York State with my ex's

Customer Question

In 2008 I moved from Missouri to New York State with my ex's permission. I have a letter for the local school indicating I had his permission to enroll my daughter in NYS. He talked me out of seeking child support and said he'd lose his house if I did that. One of my daughters opted to stay in Missouri, so I didn't want to see that happen. But then after a year and a half she moved here at the age of 18 (and was in college). I should have had a new child custody agreement, but didn't. The last 8 years have been a challenge. My youngest daughter, who is 21 and was 14 when we moved here, is still in college. Is it too late to go for back child support for those years that I was completely on my own with the kids? It is still very hard and he is not helping either daughter with college--I am the only one.
Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

It is to late to go back for retroactive child support for those years, but it is not too late to file for support now to cover for college expenses.