FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My soon to be ex wife and I completed, what we thought, were

Customer Question

My soon to be ex wife and I completed, what we thought, were all of the require forms to file for divorce. All of the paperwork was submitted to the circuit clerks office on August 7. Yesterday I called to check on the status and the person I spoke with
said that there was missing documents seemed that the judge would never review the case. Does it seem correct that there would be no notification to the parties involved that the case was in limbo? ( The person at the clerks office wouldn't tell me what was
missing)
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Where did you get all the forms from, which you filled out and filed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think LegalZoom but there were forms in the packet that she didn't submit. Would the case just sit in limbo if all the forms / documents were not in the case file or would the court notify us that form x was missing?

The clerk of court may not. I say this because they can not give legal advice and they know what must be filed and if something in missing, it prevents the case from moving forward. If there were forms in the packet, they all should have been submitted. If not, they need to be filed at this time, so the divorce proceedings can move forward. Since you are handling this on your own, you are held to the same standards of an attorney, so you need to know and be aware of what must be filed.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!