KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
8989662

I have a family member who lives in NC with a serious

Customer Question

I have a family member who lives in NC with a serious illness. He has been separated from his wife who has walked back in his life . He wants a second opiniion and the wife does not. What can he do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Sorry to hear about your situation. If he has been declared incompetent, then neither his wife, nor you, can make any medical decisions for him. This means that you have to go to court and get legal guardianship now. You can file for guardianship yourself, and ask for emergency temporary guardianship to do it quickly, and then the judge will decide on who has permanent guardianship.

Obviously it is possible that the wife will step in and try to take guardianship. If that happens you just have to explain to the judge why you think you would act more in his best interest. It is certainly reasonable to always get a second opinion, so I don't really understand why she would be against that.

I hope this helps

Kim

Hello, I just want you to know that I am logged in, if you have any follow up questions about my answer above.

If not, please go ahead and close out the question with positive feedback. This will keep the system from keeping your money, and will give me credit for my work with you.

Thank you!

Kim

Hi, just a reminder, please close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating. Otherwise the system may keep your money and I won't get credit for my work with you.

Best of luck,

Kim

Hello again,

I see that this question still needs to be closed. Please close out the question with a 4 or 5 rating. If you don't, the system may keep your money and I won't get paid for my work with you.

Take care,

Kim

I haven't heard back from you and I need to close out this question. You might not be aware of this, but if you don't close the question (with a 4 or 5 rating), the system may keep your money and I won't get paid for my work with you.

This is my full time job, so I appreciate you taking care of this,

Kim