Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

If your child is placed in care is it required that the

Customer Question

if your child is placed in foster care is it required that the parent be charged and put on the central registry
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

If a child was removed from a home and put into foster care due to accusations of sexual abuse or sexual misconduct (either with the child who was removed or in a situation close to home), the parent or guardian of the child removed must actually be charged with a criminal offense the disposition of which includes a registration with the state sex offender data base as part of the punishment for the crime itself.

-

In other words. the parent or guardian of the child who is suspected of the abuse does NOT have to automatically register as a sex offender when a child or foster child is removed from their home unless that person is also charged criminally with a sex offense and either pleads guilty to the charges or is found guilty of the charges after a trial in criminal court.

-

Regardless of whether or not the person is placed on a sex offender registry - the dept of children's services will red flag the person as a potential sex offender in their own databse and will no longer permit that person to be a foster parent again.

-

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this matter. If not, can you please press a positive rating at the top of this answer page so I will be paid for my time asissting you tonight. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above before leaving the website. Pressing apositive rating will NOT cost you any additional money. it simply acts as the trigger to just answer to pay me for my time

-

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY