Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I would like to get my 17 year old grandson emancipated. He

Customer Question

I would like to get my 17 year old grandson emancipated. He dropped out of school works full time and he and his girlfriend have a six month old daughter. We live in Missouri. My husband and I have had legal guardianship for him for the past 15 years. Can you help?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Are you looking for legal representation in this matter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what I need to do at this time. I thought the purpose of this was to suggest to me what to do.

Thank you for your reply.

I just needed to make sure, because the state law forbids us from representing anyone from this site and needed to make sure you know that up front.

What you need here is to file a petition for emancipation to be filed with the court. The court does not make copies of those available online. A minor can be emancipated if they are living on their own out from under parental/guardian control. If he has a child and is living on his own and working, then you have grounds to file the petition for emancipation in the local court.

You can go to legal aid if you cannot afford a local attorney to do this, but the petition needs to be filed with an attorney or the minor can file the petition in court through legal aid and you need to provide proof of his legally living out of the home and with his girlfriend and child and that he is supporting that child and himself through work. The petition takes about 60 days to be granted.