LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I divorced my ex-wife 9 years ago. As part of the settlement

Customer Question

I divorced my ex-wife 9 years ago. As part of the settlement I took on all the credit debt (including a timeshare). I paid off all the credit card debt except the timeshare, which was on a credit card in her name and I was never given a statement. She decided that she did not trust me to pay off this debt and wanted to try to sell the timeshare. She never sold the timeshare. Now she is insisting that I pay her back maintenance fees and balance with interest. Can she collect after all tis time?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you were responsible for the debt on the credit cards, unless you agreed to pay the maintenance fees on the timeshare in perpetuity, then no, you cannot be forced to pay the maintenance fees that have been incurred since the divorce.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug