Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

Our 18 year old gh school senior daughter left our home to

Customer Question

Our 18 year old high school senior daughter left our home to move in with a boyfriend and his parents. Can she legally do this and, if so, are we financially responsible to her? We are not divorced parents. We live in Colorado.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The age of majority in Colorado as in most states is 18. This means that your daughter is considered an adult and you are no longer legally responsible for her financial well being. The provision that a child must be financially cared for until age 19 or graduation from high school, whichever occurs first only applies in cases of child support among divorced parents.

So, yes, she can leave the home and you are under no legal obligation to allow her back.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very helpful. Thank you.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Thanking you for a positive rating. And good luck.