FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Mother and son are leaving town to live somewhere else, is

Customer Question

mother and son are leaving town to live somewhere else, is there anything i can do to keep my son? this is the second time possibly the third time they move. mother does not work and boyfriend can not keep a stable job
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Do you have any custody of the child through court order? Were you married to the mother at any time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i was not married to her and yes its thru court

Thank you. If you have custody or visitation through a court order, she can not simply move out of town with the child, unless you agree. If she did, she could be in violation of the order and could face criminal charges and be held in contempt of court. If you know this is happening, you need to file an emergency motion with the court, restricting/preventing her from doing this and even going as far asking the Judge to award you temporary custody, until this can be decided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!