KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
8989662

How do I, Grandmother, get Guardianship of a Juvenile who is

Customer Question

how do I, Grandmother, get Guardianship of a Juvenile who is incarcerated in the state of California, he is 16yrs. old?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

The process will be the same even if the minor is incarcerated. You need to file for legal guardianship in the court in the county where you are a resident. The process could take some time, so there is a risk that you might not become the guardian until after he already turns 18, just so you are aware.

You should also ask for temporary guardianship while the process is going on, which is quicker, and will give you some control while waiting for the final judgment from the court.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Kim

Hello, I wanted to let you know that I am logged on today, if you have any follow up questions on my answer above.

If not, please be sure to close out this question with positive feedback, so that the system won't keep you money and I will get credit for my work with you.

Take care,
Kim

Hello, just letting you know I am logged in today, if you would like to ask any follow up questions or close out the question so I get credit for my work with you.

Thanks!
Kim