How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101049
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My children are 25 yrs and 1 has completed college and the

Customer Question

My children are 25 yrs and 1 has completed college and the other is going part time, are they considered emancipated? Can I get support stopped?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Please understand that there are two different duties.

Child Support
Child support ends at 18, unless the child is still in high school (if so, the support may end when they finish school or turn 19). If you are still paying child support, it is past time for it to be ended.

College Tuition
This is separate from child support. The Court may at its discretion award tuition support to be paid by one/both parents. Newburgh v. Newburgh, 88 N.J. 529, 443 A.2d 1031 (1982). When it ends does not depend on age and can continue even if the child is emancipated - check your decree for the end date of any college tuition support, as every decree is different.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Related Family Law Questions