Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Adult brother incapacitated in CA, sister in law refuses

Customer Question

Adult brother incapacitated in CA, sister in law refuses visitation and doctor conversations to his mother to determine if his home care is proper. What are a parent's rights versus a spouse?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. In such a situation, the spouse is counted as the next of kin for medical decisions and control, unless he has a signed document directing someone else to be that person.

As such, I am afraid that she has the authority to make decisions unless he has a document giving that power to someone else. And, she is under no duty to share this information and decisions with anyone else, parent and other siblings included.

If you feel that she is not making proper decisions, there is a way to "fight" her for control in Court. Let me know if you want information about this.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.