mkc1959
mkc1959, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney with 26 years of experience.
55483656

My 18 year old son is in and out of juvenile and uses drugs.

Customer Question

my 18 year old son is in and out of juvenile hall and uses drugs. His probation officer is constantly raiding our home, he is in custody right now and will be released in a few days his probation officer said that I have to let him back into the home and then give him 30 days to move. Is this true?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is not on my lease and he does not pay rent or any bills
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

Is your son in High School?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he graduated while in custody. He does not pay rent and he is not on my lease. He contributes nothing to the household
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we lost our connection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no he graduated , no rent , no bill, not on lease,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an email saying I have been charged but I am not getting an answer
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

You do not have to let him back in. He does not pay rent so he is not covered by eviction laws.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not finished !!!! no answer
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

If he was still in high school you would have still had to support him. That is why I asked about high school.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His probation officer told me I had to let him back in and give him 30 days to move out. I am so glad that we do not have to go through another 30 days of this. The children are afraid of police officers because of him and the raids on the house. It will be good for them to relax and not worry that every knock on the door is the police coming in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want them to trust and believe in the police and the law. Right now they are loosing trust and that is bad.
Expert:  mkc1959 replied 1 year ago.

I understand. What the probation officer said would give "power" to your son over what you had already told him. He has made his choices and needs to bear the consequences himself and not put it on your other children. Please also think of the practical steps needed to secure your home.