Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been served notice of divorce proceedings through

Customer Question

I have been served notice of divorce proceedings through publication. I found out late and did not have the opportunity to respond in the allotted 30 day time frame. In addition, i immediately called the county court (in my case Cobb County, GA) and asked them when the service was completed. They said that I had 60 days to respond. When I looked closer it seems that the time to respond was in fact 30 days. That time has passed. WHat should I do. I am aware that in Georgia, even if the defendant does not respond, it doesn't mean that you will necessarily lose any rites in court. However, what I would like to do is just settle out of court. I am in agreement with almost all that my wife is proposing. WHat, if anything, should I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Actually, unless one's spouse has actually moved for default judgment, it is not yet arguably too late to file a response. Ergo one can still file it even if late. Default judgment is not automatic; it must be requested. If one files a response before the default judgment is requested, then one's response counts, even if late.

So a response should be filed. Then the parties can mediate (normally court-ordered) and negotiate and decide on the asset division, etc.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.