Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I dated a man from December - April. In March he was

Customer Question

I dated a man from December - April. In March he was supposed to fly to visit me but he was unable to get a passport because he owed $6.4k in child support. At that point we thought his visit wasn't going to happen because I told him I couldn't pay that much. He didn't have a job. He said that he didn't owe the child support because his wife at the time (they had been separated for 2 years) filed papers fraudulently and that if I paid it then he would pay me back. The state was going to investigate it. I made the huge and dumb mistake and paid it. I paid it on 23 March and he hasn't paid one cent. What can I do to get my money back? I have already written him two emails with terms and payment options. He keeps saying he will pay but of course I haven't received a dime.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Is this someone who you have dated personally or was this an online relationship?

.

Where is the man located now?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dated him personally. I lived in Germany and he lived in Nebraska
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you made the loan to him while he was in NE, then there is a 4 year statute of limitations for breach of an oral contract to repay. So your recourse would be to sue him in NE for breach of contract for the debt and get a judgment against him that you could then proceed to collect on through wage garnishments, liening real estate and having the sheriff seize and sell any personal property to pay the judgment.

.

.

thanks