Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My younger sister was living with my Mom when her kids got

Customer Question

My younger sister was living with my Mom when her kids got taken away from her. There were drugs in the house, my Mom tried to keep them from doing drugs, but they still did drugs. My sister is 36, she has 2 kids. She is having terrible trouble with dealing
with DFS in Missouri. Are there any places who have people to help them through getting their kids back? She is getting what seems to be the run around, and doesn't know where to turn.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Your sister cannot get her kids back if she is still abusing drugs. She needs to clean up her act before asking for her kids back.

She needs to make sure that she is in contact with the Social Worker assigned to her case and get information regarding what she needs to do and show before she would have a chance of getting her children back. DFS has to act in the best interests of the children and cannot return the children to their mother when their mother is still abusing drugs. Nevertheless, she can check with local legal aid services for assistance. However, legal aid cannot perform miracle. She must still clean up her act in order to have a chance of getting her children back. You can use the link below to find local legal services for free legal assistance:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=missouri%20legal%20aid