Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

My niece and her boyfriend had a baby, the boyfriend is 16.

Customer Question

My niece and her boyfriend had a baby, the boyfriend is 16. The boyfriend has been kicked out of his house so we gave him a place to stay and provide shelter and food. Are we breaking laws in the state of Nebraska?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If the parents kicked him out at 16, then legally they are the ones who are breaking the law and could be charged with child abuse and neglect. If you are taking him in and giving him a place to stay, then you aren't violating any laws here.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we can still provide care for him without any legal action and do you think we should contact the police to make them aware of the situation?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you are not breaking any laws by taking in a vulnerable child and providing support for him. As for the police, you can do so, and they could potentially charge the parents with child abuse and neglect, but they could also end up forcing the child to return to the parents home, so that should be considered prior to involving them and whether that is in the child's best interests..

.

.

thanks