Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My daughter in NC wants my daughter in TN to adopt her

Customer Question

My daughter in NC wants my daughter in TN to adopt her child. Which state do they have to file the adoption and can this by handle by a lawyer without having to go to court?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm licensed in Tennessee. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

The adoption would have to be filed in the state of the child's residence (where the child has lived for at least 6 months). Thus, if the child lives in NC, the case would have to be filed there.

As for going to court, the judge is going to want to see both sets of parents and the child before awarding the adoption, but it will not be an adversary matter if all parties consent to what is being requested.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Thus, at least one appearance in court (in NC) would be required.