How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37395
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is a situation I want to report but I'm not

Customer Question

There is a situation I want to report but I'm not exactly sure who to report to so I'm looking for advice. I am a mandated reporter as a former special education teacher and I also have worked with adults with developmental disabilities for the past 20
years. My friend has been helping out a friend of his with the custody over her daughter. The woman no longer wants custody at this point as the girl is not in a position mentally to be in her home and needs placement in a facility that can handle her. She
has been sexually molested and abused in many ways. The father has custody and has moved three times this year alone. This week he moved her from MN to WI and sent a text message to the mother simply stating that he had moved to WI and that the new exchange
point had been moved. I was with my friend the day she received the message and contacted him. As a recently divorced mother I understand that a parent cannot simply move out of state without approval from the court. He was also told two moves ago by the judge
that he could lose custody if he moved again but that does not stop him. The mother is afraid to report anything as she is in no position to take her daughter. The girl has become a predator herself, including a sexual predator. The father has moved her in
with his new girlfriend a her son who is around the same age as his daughter. It is unlikely that this woman is aware of his daughter's predatory nature. I want this young girl to have the best chance at success and feel that placement is the only way for
that to happen. Both the mother and my friend agree. We just need to know what to do to get there. Do we call local law enforcement to notify them of parental kidnapping? Do we contact law enforcement of where the girl is supposed to be living of parental
kidnapping? Social services? DHS? There are many routes and none of us are sure on the correct one. Thank you very much for your time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of the situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, law enforcement does not handle issues of relocation violations by parents. As the mother does not have legal custody of her daughter there has been no child stealing but rather simply a relocation in violation of state family law.

Social Services and DHS will not be able to help either. The only avenue to deal with the issue of relocation is for your friend to file a Motion for Contempt with the court.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,


Related Family Law Questions