FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My Wife and I Got into a verbal fight on Saturday, She

Customer Question

My Wife and I Got into a verbal fight on Saturday, She kicked me out of house and I elected to leave - my two minor children went with me. The house is our residence and we are both on the deed - I have 2 minor step children and 2 Adult step children that also live in the house. We can not afford to stay at a hotel and we also operate a business from the home (that we own jointly). There have been no domestic physical contact by me, my wife did shove me Saturday at beginning of verbal fight (not trying to worry about this).
I told Her that we would be back in couple of days, and she is trying to tell me that I can not come back. Can I ? WE are in Dupage County, Naperville, IL
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Yes, you do have a legal right to go back and enter the home. I say this because you left to calm the situation. However, you and your children do reside there and you claim that as your residence and you are on the deed as well. The only way she can prevent you from returning and entering is through a court order and at this point, she does not have one. Moreover, you may want to tell her that if she wants to escalate this matter, you may consider calling the police and reporting the shove on you, which could result in her being charged with domestic violence.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.