Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

In, can a subsequent child custody dispute be judicated in a

Customer Question

In Virginia, can a subsequent child custody dispute be judicated in a general district court with court orders from a juvenile and domestic relations court?
In a case where the sole evidence is undisputed court order violations, I have seen a juvenile court judge ignore the violations for the "the good of the children". I have also heard that a general district coutI is more sensitive to the individual rights of the litigates. In short if the above is basically true, should a general district court judication be considered?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

District Court in VA can hear child custody and family cases at the discretion of the district court judge and depending on the local rules of your county as well, as they are a limited jurisdiction trial court. The court is not more sensitive to the individual rights of the litigants, that varies from judge to judge and it has nothing to do with it being juvenile or domestic relations court it all has to do with the judge personally. So you could file a custody dispute in the district court as they have legal jurisdiction to hear those disputes, but it is up to the district judge's discretion to hear it or return it to the court where the case was first heard and the order was issued and the district judge can decline jurisdiction.