Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

What are my rights concerning defamatory comments against my

Customer Question

What are my rights concerning defamatory comments against my character or wrongful allegations?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You can file a defamation lawsuit. However, in order to prevail in a defamation suit, you must be able to prove all of the elements of defamation. Generally, you must be able to prove (1) that a defamatory statement was made against you; (2) that there was a unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (spreading of rumors, making false accusation); (3) if the defamatory statement is a matter of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher—this may not apply to you if you are not a public figure; (4) then finally you have to prove that you suffered damages as a result of the defamation.

You would need to consult with a Civil Rights Attorney in your area to assist you in putting your claim together as these cases can be very difficult to win. Interview at least three Attorneys and/or review their web sites to see which one will be a better match for you. You want to look for someone who is not too busy to handle your case; someone who will return your phone calls in a timely manner, and someone who will give you prompt updates on your case

Click here to find local Civil Rights Attorneys in your area:

Civil Rights Lawyers

Justia.com

Findlaw.com