socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Ia m the father physician of an 11 yr old son. AFter being a

Customer Question

Ia m the father physician of an 11 yr old son. AFter being a week on a week off since february, i have asked for shared custody . I work 7 on 7 off. after she received the notice she called and said he will no longer be with me during the week. it is his best interest. today still on my time she wanted him for part of the holiday but wouldnt let me hae him back tonight. so i said ill just keep him then i was being nice to give up part of my time. she says she will report me. should i just take him and let her have him. partially because im taking her to court and dont want it to look bad for me
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

If you want shared custody, then you must exercise as much parenting time as possible, so that you can show the court that the child's best interests supersede your own, regardless of the financial hardship it may cause you. This is the manner in which every family court judge considers custody/parenting matters. Failure to exercise the maximum amount of parenting time possible, is fatal to any custody dispute.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!