How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 114135
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I were divorced last year. Before she filed she

Customer Question

My wife and I were divorced last year. Before she filed she went back to school for her Master which I paid for. I also put $140,000 in to our home which kept and I didn't recover those investments as the appraised price remained the same. Before we were married I accumulated options in my company which later became $400,000 which she got half of because I didn't have a prenup. Can she seek an increase in alimony in PA if I choose not to pay for our kids education?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you do not pay for the education of the children that does not mean she can seek an increase in alimony. Also, if you paid for her education, you can seek to claim reimbursement for that, since your marriage never received the benefit of the education. Alimony is based on her actual needs and your ability to pay, it does not get tied to your obligations to your children, those are separate and the PA court could not order you to pay for college support, without an agreement between the parties, even indirectly by increasing alimony. See: Pa. Cons. Stat. tit. 23, §4327(a).

Related Family Law Questions