RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

What is wyoming doing in the common law marriage field

Customer Question

what is wyoming doing in the common law marriage field
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

As far as I can see, nothing. Wyoming does not now, and never has recognized the doctrine of common-law marriage. However, Wyoming recognizes common-law marriages validly entered into in other states or nations. I find no references to anything that may be afoot to change that in Wyoming. If the Wyoming legislature has any plans in that regard, it is a well-kept secret.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Hi, different expert here, as you have requested a new answer. However, I have to agree with the previous expert's answer. There is nothing in Wyoming law regarding common law marriage. As stated, they do not recognize common law marriage, with the exception of recognizing common law marriages that were validly entered into in another state. From my research there does not appear to be any legislation pending or being considered to change this.

Did you have specific questions or concerns about common law marriage in Wyoming that you wanted us to look at?